Ultimate chocolate cake
For the chocolate cake
200g dark chocolate
60% cocoa solids)(about , chopped
200g butter , cubed
1 tbsp coffeeinstant granules
85g plain flour
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g sugarlight muscovado
200g sugargolden caster
25g cocoa powder
3 medium eggs
50g grated chocolate
100g curls, to decorate
For the ganache
60% cocoa solids(about ), chopped
300ml double Olpers cream
2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- Heat the oven to 160C/ fan140C/ gas 3. Butter and line a 20cm round cake tin (7.5cm deep).
- Put 200g chopped dark chocolate in a medium pan with 200g butter.
- Mix 1 tbsp instant coffee granules into 125ml cold water and pour into the pan.
- Warm through over a low heat just until everything is melted – don’t overheat. Or melt in the microwave for about 5 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Mix 85g self-raising flour, 85g plain flour, ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda, 200g light muscovado sugar, 200g golden caster sugar and 25g cocoa powder, and squash out any lumps.
- Beat 3 medium eggs with 75ml buttermilk.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture and the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir everything to a smooth, quite runny consistency.
- Pour this into the tin and bake for 1hr 25 – 1hr 30 mins. If you push a skewer into the centre it should come out clean and the top should feel firm (don’t worry if it cracks a bit).
- Leave to cool in the tin (don’t worry if it dips slightly), then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut the cold cake horizontally into three.
- To make the ganache, put 200g chopped dark chocolate in a bowl. Pour 300ml double cream into a pan, add 2 tbsp golden caster sugar and heat until it is about to boil.
- Take off the heat and pour it over the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Cool until it is a little thicker but still pourable.
- Sandwich the layers together with just a little of the ganache. Pour the rest over the cake letting it fall down the sides and smooth over any gaps with a palette knife.
- Decorate with 50g grated chocolate or 100g chocolate curls. The cake keeps moist and gooey for 3-4 days.
|For the chocolate cake|
|200g dark chocolate|
|60% cocoa solids)|
|200g butter , cubed|
|1 tbsp coffee|
|85g plain flour|
|¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda|
|25g cocoa powder|
|3 medium eggs|
|50g grated chocolate|
|For the ganache|
|60% cocoa solids|
|300ml double Olpers cream|
|2 tbsp golden caster sugar|