GUJARATI DAL – (Serves – 4)
1½ cups split pigeon peas (toovar dal), soaked and drained
½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
2 tablespoons raw peanuts
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon + 1 tablespoon ghee
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
¼ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
1 sprig fresh curry leaves
1-2 green chillies, slit
2 dried red chillies
3-4 kokum petals
1 tablespoon jaggery powder
½ tablespoon lemon juice
Chopped fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Pressure cook pigeon peas in sufficient water with fenugreek seeds, peanuts, turmeric powder, salt and ½ teaspoon ghee till the pressure is released for 2-3 times. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a non-stick pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
3. Add cumin seeds and sauté for a few seconds. Add asafoetida and sauté for 30 seconds.
4. Add curry leaves, green chillies and red chillies and sauté for a minute. Add cooked pigeon peas and little water, stir to mix and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add kokum petals and jaggery, mix well and bring to a boil. Add some more water, stir and boil for 5-10 minutes.
6. Add lemon juice and mix well.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves, drizzle ½ teaspoon ghee on top and serve hot with steamed rice.
Click to Subscribe: http://bit.ly/1h0pGXf
For more recipes : http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com
Best cooked in Wonderchef Kitchenware.
Buy Now on : https://goo.gl/eB9kQq
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/ChefSanjeevKapoor
Twitter : https://twitter.com/sanjeevkapoor